Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Preping for the Half.

I think it is like anything else, when you do it enough it is the little things that you don't think much about.  Follow me on this.  I have over the past couple of years fallin' in love with running.  And depending on the day, time and what I am preparing for will determine the distance and the speed that I train.  Well the Pro Football Hall of Fame Half is coming up very fast.  I'm excited and a tad nervous at the same time. 

 
These are pretty cool!

I've never trained for or run this kind of distance this early in the season.  And usually we'll get a couple warmer dryer days in February and March that one can get in a couple good runs.  This year...not so much.  The cold, a high of 35 today, the snow, yes more snow on the way and the wind have made it tough to train.

"What's your point Bill?"  The point is don't forget the little things when that time comes and you have a small window to get in a training distant run.  STRETCH!  This is the most vital part of any training or work out.  Stretching should be done before and after an extended exercise.  I did a 10 mile training run this past Friday and in my haste to get it in I failed to 'do the little' things and did not stretch properly.  I've been running for more than 2 years consistently, which for me is a pretty long time, and have always stretched before and after.  WELL, at 37 and running for an hour and 25 minuets my body had enough.  That was a Friday evening and come Saturday morning my body was mad at me.  My legs were spent and so sore.  I paid the price for not doing what I was supposed to do and I'm lucky that I didn't injure myself.  Plus when you get older it takes longer, my experience, for your body to recover putting even more emphasis on stretching. 

I've learned after all this time, step back, take a breath and a moment and evaluate what I am about to do and please, P-A-LEASE take an extra 5 to 10 minuets and stretch before hand.  It will definitely save you from being sore and in most cases avoid injury.  I have the next 32 Days, 15 Hours and 56 minuets to make sure I don't do something like that again.  I could really use your prayers. 

If you are curious about any other techniques or workouts to either get in shape or stay in shape, check out my coaching site or let me know if you have questions,  Coach Bill.

No comments:

Post a Comment