Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Outside your comfort zone


So what do you do when it’s about 30 degrees, 20 mile per hour winds and you start to wonder if the sun will ever shine again? Well, you go for a run of course! Not only that, but you make it a family event.

Back in October of 2013 I started a fit club at church for the men in the church to take control of their struggles with eating, dieting, exercise...or lack thereof, and motivation. This is something I wanted to do for some time and prayed about for guidance and timing. So I put it in God's hands and for about 5 months it seemed like it wasn't going to happen. Come September of 2013 it finally became a reality and simply through word of mouth we had about 6 men every Friday for 8 weeks. That carried over into another 8 week session in January that ended in March. It was fun, but more important it got guys motivated and willing to make a difference. Everybody wanted to keep going.

That brings us to April. We have guys from this group that will doing something in 2014 that they never thought they'd ever get around to do (maybe I'm adding drama where drama shouldn't be added). Some of these men will be running in 5K's for the first time and will be training with me over the summer to run in their first Half Marathon. Several of us will be running in the Akron Marathon at the end of September this year. They have all come a long way.

 
 
 I just don't think she could be happier.
 

Alex, our little pace setter

So when do we start?  Why not right now?!  We did a fun run this weekend at a local trail in Rittman.  What a blast.  I enjoy running and I enjoy running even more with great people.  I took my wife and kids.  My son on his bike was our pace setter and he did great.  My wife and little girl...watched the van for us.  No, they ran too.  For a little bit but it was just too cold for them.  Other Freshwater Fit Club guys were John, and he brought his 2 daughters, Gregg (2 g's...yes), Josh and his dog Cooper, and Dan.  Great people and a great time.  This is going to be a fun summer watching all these people change their routine and lives. 




What a great group.  Keep routing them on and may God Bless them all.

- Coach Bill

No comments:

Post a Comment