Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Handling the Half

Over.  It is officially over.  As I mentioned in my previous blogs I didn't expect much from myself for a race this early in the season and with limited training.  Race day changes things.  To be honest, the race was on Sunday, and it all really started on Saturday. 


I took the family to the Pro Football Hall of Fame to pick up my packet, shirt and bib (the link has some photos from the race too).  A lot has changed since coming here as a kid. This is the new main entrance.  We had the chance to tour the Hall, for free being a runner, and if it would have been up to my son I think we would still be there.  He loves to read and well..."In the beginning, God created football..."


Both kids were good sports and humored me most of the time.  (I need to figure out my new phone and how to hold it steady.)


Alex may have been off reading something when I took this picture.  It was a Champion type atmosphere, feeling of competition and the amount of people really in to it helped get past the doubt and concerns about race day Sunday.  The weather was perfect.  The sun was out and both kids had the chance to go through a mock NFL Combine at the stadium.  The entire football experience from Saturday through Sunday was very well thought out and made it so much fun for everybody, families and runners.

Race day.  It was 34 degrees when I left for the race.  I'm not sure how I feel about this picture, but I had to drive past the Hall and stadium to see it all lit up.  It was pretty cool, and frankly this is probably the best I could do.  This picture is kind of growing on me though.  I'll remove it if it is to much of an eye sore.


It warmed up to about 36 degrees when I got on the bus to head to the stadium.  I decided to wear compression pants with shorts over top, white pants, my wife wasn't happy with that purchase. I also wore a bright orange shirt so she could spot me at the finish.  The pants kept my legs warmer and considering how cold my arms were it was a total distraction.  The run itself was a blast.  It was a smaller race, about 3000 Half and Full Marathoners.  The 'pack' thinned out pretty quickly and I wasn't getting trampled on or trampling on others. 

The race weaved through Canton Ohio, by the McKinley Memorial and Monument and the back up toward the stadium and Hall.  And by up, I really mean up.  From mile 11.5 until the finish it was a climb.  The hills surprised a lot of runners that weren't from the area.  I am from the area and was still surprised at the hills.  After a quick run around the parking lot you headed back into the stadium and finished at the 50 Yard Line.  What a way to finish.  What a fun race.  What a fantastic experience.  This was my 4th Half, and as much as I love Akron, this one was an absolute blast for 2 days.  And will be on my schedule for next year too. 

How did I finish?  My goal was to beat 1:49:00.  I finish at 1:44:20 (7:58 min/mile pace).  I missed setting a personal best by less than 40 seconds.  I was thrilled with my time.  Like anything else when you're done you always look back and think where you could have run faster or picked up the pace.  Are my goals obtainable?  You bet!  Is it going to take some hard work?  Oh yeah!  Am I going to break 1:40:00 at Akron in September?  God willing!  You'll just have to wait to find out.  Its spring, its running season, and its a new year with a better than expected start.  Can't wait for the next.


 
God bless you all, and keep working hard.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment