Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Adapting to change can be a faithful resonse.

Jesus said, "Abide in me and I abide in you." John 15:4

I have recognized that I have been blessed in more ways than one. My wife, my beautiful children and friends and family that sound me. But I have to admit that since the end of May, I can honestly say I have struggled with doing what I can to stay active and at times forgot about those blessings. At the end of May I was in a car accident in which another car ran a red light and slammed into the back driver side door of my car. 

 

It was a habit changing event. I went from running when I wanted for however long I wanted and from working out in my basement to INSANITY or P90X to not being able to do much after that. After developing a routine for 2 years and then having the routine changed dramatically it was extremely frustrating. I was down on myself, I was frustrated with the situation and didn’t know what I could or wanted to do. One thing I did know is that I didn’t want to go back to being that guy that was ‘comfortable’ at 217 pounds. I have continued with the Physical Therapy and continue to do what my body allows.

Unfortunately, I’m not absent pain. However, I am determined to continue to do something. I have gone back to what helped me through difficult times in my life. I turned to Jesus to help me deal with my anxiety, worries and frustrations because I felt like I was moving away from him. I didn’t lose the weight alone before and I knew that the pain and other external variables wouldn’t go away without him either. So I prayed and put my faith back in his hands. The pain is still there, but by the grace of God, good doctors and therapist and patience I pray that it subsides and eventually goes away.

It has slowly gotten better allowing me to move more. I’m able to do shorter runs, 3 to 6 miles with minimal pain. I’m a huge fan of Shaun T’s INSANITY program and knew I couldn’t go all out and not be uncomfortable in the process. When he developed a program called Focus T25 I knew that it would make a difference in people’s lives, so I bought it. 
 
 
I can honestly say I was a tad nervous. Lower impact, a visible modifier and only 25 minutes a day! I know, I sound like a commercial here but I was able to keep up doing what my body let me do. I want to heal and I want other people to heal. I want to feel better and I want other people to feel better. It can be done, and we can do it. You can do it alone…but it is so much more fun when it’s done with somebody else and when it is done for the right reasons.

No comments:

Post a Comment