Thursday, October 8, 2015

Trying something different

As you can tell from my posts, I've become pretty passionate about running.  I have only been doing this since 2012, but I have been bitten by the bug.  I ran my first Half Marathon in September 2012 and that was the Akron Marathon.  After crossing the finish line I remember the feeling of gratitude and a sense of accomplishment.  Then sitting on my patio thinking to myself, I could have run faster. Needless to say, I haven't stopped since then and as of the end of September, I've finished my 7th half marathon since then.

I guess there isn't anything 'different' about that.  But what I want to do is have number 10 be the Akron Marathon next year which is where it all started.  It is truly amazing and so much fun.




I figured doing 4 next year would be a lot to obtain that goal.  So this year, I wanted to do 3, but not 2 within 13 days of one another.  THAT is what was different for me.  I've never pushed a training routine to run that far as push myself to see what I was capable of doing.

I discovered a lot about myself during this time.  What do I do while training so that we don't miss out on eating together as a family at night or miss activities for the kids?  We get up early to get our work outs in. A little back story, my wife has become a avid Cross Fitter over the past 2 years and in order for us to get our work outs in we have to be done in the morning.  Her class is at 5 AM.  I'm not at that stage where I can leave my kids alone in the house, so I decided to get up on my long run mornings at 3:30 AM.  Yes....3:30.  Done by 4:45 so she can get to her class.  I'll tell you what, there sure isn't a lot of activity that early in the morning unless you are a skunk or possum.  I do feel like I own the town that early.  I run down the middle of nearly every street and don't have to worry about anything else.  Just me, the darkness and my thoughts.  THAT is what is/was different for me.

My neighbor talked me into running a half near Cleveland in the middle of the month.  He broke me and I signed up to do it.  I thought, 'What a great way to get a quiet long run in before Akron.  I'll just casually run this one and get ready for Akron.'  What I thought would be casual and relaxing and enjoyable turned out to get the opposite.  My problem is I've gotten accustom to pushing my body to limits it hasn't experienced before.  They are called 'RACES.'  During the race, I keep telling myself that I can slow down, but I felt great and it was a small field so there weren't a lot of people to pass or keep pace with.  I eventually slowed down...at the end of the race.

I finish with my best time ever.  My time:  1:35:50 (7:19 min mile)


I was spent.  Done.  Got up the next morning and could barely move.  But I had the Akron coming up in less than 2 weeks.  Back at it.  A couple 3:30 am days and push through the pain, doubt and fatigue.

I finished the Akron with my best Akron time:  1:37:32 (7:26 min mile)


Like the first one...sitting on my patio that afternoon after soccer and birthday party for my kids friend, I reflected and said to myself, 'I could have run faster.'  That's next years goal.  However, I'll have to do it in the Masters Division.  YEP...the big 40 is next year!  Its never to late!  Try Something Different!

God Bless,

Coach Bill

No comments:

Post a Comment