Friday, September 12, 2014

How big is big?

I've always been a big fan of Toad The Wet Sprocket.  There is a line in their song "Butterflies" that every time I hear it, I always get to thinking.  It goes:  "...weird when you get so close to something that BIG you can't see anything at all..."

Have you ever been a part of something bigger than you think it is at the time?  I can't think if I have, but about a week ago it happened to both of my kids.  I don't think they realized how special that situation or that moment really was.

My wife's sister and her husband treated us by taking the kids to dinner and overnight.  They went to a local restaurant in Cuyahoga Falls, OH.  It was a friends pub that was newly opening and there just so happen to be a special guest there.

Both my kids had the opportunity to meet an Olympic Gold Medalist.  Tim Mack the 2004 Olympic Gold Medalist in the Pole Vault just so happen to be there.  I'm sure it was planned some how but my kids had no idea.  That doesn't seem like much, especially to them at the time.  Meeting Tim Mack is one thing.  Getting your picture taken with him is something else.  Getting to put his gold medal around your neck and holding it for all to see...well now that is something entirely different.



I'm not going to lie, but that is such a cool moment that I was and kind of and still am a tad jealous.  An Olympic Gold Medal around your neck.  I had to ask questions!

What did you think? - "Cool!  He was really nice."
What was it like holding the medal? - "Cool! It was heavy"
Was it motivating (I'm asking an 8 and 5 year old to answer this)? - "Yes."  (their facial expressions told me that they had no idea what I meant by that.)
Did you get an autograph? - "A what?"

Big sigh.  Oh well.  What an awesome moment for these two.  One day they may look back on this and it may actually hit them what a rare moment this is for most people in the world.  Maybe one day.

Best of luck to Tim Mack and thank you greatly for taking your time to be a part of my kids lives.

God Bless,
Coach Bill

No comments:

Post a Comment